Friday, January 1, 2016

#ThursdayThoughts

A few thoughts to start your year in reflection of those who paid the ultimate price for freedoms.

I came across this quote by R.G. Ingersoll while reading through comments and tributes left for one someone who died in Vietnam on this day (he is among those who will be listed on today's #DailyWall posting. The quote by Ingersoll started me on a search that turned up some other incredibly poignant quotes.

These heroes are dead.  They died for liberty - they died for us.  They are at rest.  They sleep in the land they made free, under the flag they rendered stainless, under the solemn pines, the sad hemlocks, the tearful willows, and the embracing vines.  They sleep beneath the shadows of the clouds, careless alike of sunshine or of storm, each in the windowless Place of Rest.  Earth may run red with other wars - they are at peace.  In the midst of battle, in the roar of conflict, they found the serenity of death.  I have one sentiment for soldiers living and dead:  cheers for the living; tears for the dead.  -Robert G. Ingersoll
The line, "they sleep in the land they made free, under the flag they rendered stainless..." has really resonated with me as I reflect on so many that that bear the weight of that truth.

Another that has really hit me, should cause us all to pause. I don't think I'll ever hear the National Anthem in the same way with the following words in mind.

The dead soldier's silence sings our national anthem. -Aaron Kilbourn

One more that speaks to the incredible spirit of brotherhood among those that have fought and died.

Better than honor and glory, and History's iron pen,Was the thought of duty done and the love of his fellow-men.
~Richard Watson Gilder 

I hope you can find as much meaning in these as I have. As we start a new year, It is my desire to share with you, this deep love for our country's veterans, recent and long ago passed, as we, together, honor those that walk among us and the memories of those we have laid to rest.

Thank you for sharing this journey with me. Thank you for the way each of you honor them. Thank you for your continued support and interest in what I strive to do here.


No comments:

Post a Comment