Tuesday, November 26, 2013


I was inspired to create this venture into honoring our veterans in an odd way. A popular facebook theme in November is to post something one is thankful for each day leading up to Thanksgiving Day. I am annually annoyed by the encroachment of the holiday season earlier and earlier into the year. When people started posting Thanksgiving things 11 days before Veterans Day, I was moved to make my daily thankful postings only about veterans leading up to Veterans Day and then ending it there. I found it quite fulfilling to post each day about a particular group of veterans that I was thankful for. In doing so, I was challenged to make every day a day in which we should be thankful for these who have given so much for their country, so much for our liberty.

I hereby dedicate this blog and companion facebook page, Honor The Veteran. My goal with these are, first and foremost, to honor veterans, but also to share stories and creative ways that others are doing the same. The name, Honor The Veteran was derived from the following quote:
“Honor to the soldier and sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his country's cause. Honor, also, to the citizen who cares for his brother in the field and serves, as he best can, the same cause.” ― Abraham Lincoln
Another American President had something pretty good to say on the subject as well:

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them."                                                                     -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy 
So, let us indeed honor them, with words and with actions.



No comments:

Post a Comment